January 15, 2019
Thousands of ABLE account owners nationwide are able to save for the first time without losing public benefits. A Gift of Independence gift card is a new way to honor, celebrate, reward or support a member of your family, a friend, a co-worker or a neighbor who has opened an ABLE account. Help an ABLE account owner and/or beneficiary by buying a Gift of Independence gift card to support their savings. Qualified Disability Expenses can include transportation costs, a home of their own, assistive technology, higher education and employment supports.
Follow these simple steps to give or get the Gift of Independence Gift Card, which can be used with any of the state ABLE programs.
To Purchase a Gift Card
- Visit The Gift of Independence page and complete the online form.
- You may choose to have a physical card delivered to you if you have time, or get an instant link sent to you via text or email. Gift card denominations range from $25 to $200. There is no expiration date for redeeming the funds.
- Family and friends can give a gift card without having a Gift of College profile. To redeem the card, a profile will be needed to be created. See below.
To Redeem a Gift Card
- Go to the Gift of College
- Create a profile and accept the “Terms and Conditions.” The system will ask for the gift card recipient’s name, address, phone number and the selection of a screen name. The gift card recipient has the option to upload a profile picture.
- After creating a profile, the gift card recipient should click on “Redeem” at the top of the page. They will be asked to link their 529 Plan (state ABLE program) to their profile by selecting their program from the populated dropdown menu.
- Once the profile is created and account linked, Gift of College will send the contribution to the gift card recipient’s account.