ABLE Account Decision Guide Series
Understanding ABLE Account Savings and Public Benefits
Please note, if you receive SSI and/or SSDI and are about to begin employment, are working or you are considering self-employment, please reach out to a benefits planner for guidance about the work supports that are specific to you, that will help you work to your fullest ability and reach your ABLE savings goals. Find benefits / work incentive counseling services at: https://choosework.ssa.gov/about/meet-your-employment-team/index.html#WIPA
Individually click on any of the following benefits you receive to learn more:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits (includes Childhood Disability Benefits and Disabled Widow(ers) Benefits)
- Medicaid connected to the SSI program
- Medicaid not related to receiving SSI
- Medicare (includes Medicare Savings Programs and Extra Help)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Benefits
- Housing and Urban Development Housing Assistance Programs
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid
Remember that many persons receive a combination of benefits and the impact, if any, may differ.
Note: Our ABLE Decision Guide Series is designed as an aid to decision making as it relates to establishing and using an ABLE account. This document does not cover every possible issue related to the topic and is not a substitute to more in-depth analysis that may be required in some cases.