Program Name: Ohio STABLE Program
Program Manager: Intuition ABLE Solutions, LLC
Program Investment Institution: Vanguard Group, Inc. and Fifth Third Bank
Program Website: STABLE Account
Total Annual Contribution Limit: $14,000
Account Limit: $426,000
STABLE was the nation’s first ABLE program available – and it is open to residents of all states. STABLE offers a paperless enrollment and account management system. Account holders can choose from five different investment portfolios, including an FDIC-insured option. STABLE Accounts also come with a debit card that allows individuals to spend their money on-the-go, and includes record-keeping and expense tracking features.
Program at a Glance
- What is the total annual contribution limit? $14,000
- Does this program offer enrollment to out of state residents? Yes.
- Is there a state income tax deduction or credit for contributions made into accounts opened in this state by state residents? If so, how much? Yes. $2,000 of contributions are deductible for Ohio individual income tax purposes (with unlimited carry forward).
- Who is the program administrator? Intuition ABLE Solutions, LLC
- Is there an initial minimum contribution requirement to open an ABLE account? If so, how much? Yes. $50
- Is there an annual set fee to maintain the account? If so, how much? Yes. The current account maintenance fee is $30 per year payable at $2.50 per month for Ohio Account Owners and $60 per year payable at $5 per month for non-Ohio account owners.
- Is there a required minimum contribution to your account? If so, what is the amount? Yes. $1
- Are there fees or restrictions to the number of disbursement you are allowed? If so, what are they? No.
- Can I roll over my ABLE account to another ABLE program? If so, what is the fee to do so? Yes. There are currently no fees associated with rolling over your ABLE account from one ABLE program to another ABLE program.
- Is there a “debit card/purchasing card” available with the program? If so, what is the added cost? Yes. There are no added costs for the STABLE Card.
- Who is the investment manager? Vanguard Group, Inc.
- How many investment options are associated with the program? There are five investment options available.
- Do those investment options vary in risk? Yes. These investment options range from low risk (BankSafe Investment Option-FDIC insured) to conservative to aggressive with varying levels of risk, based on the risks of their underlying component investments.
- Is there a fee associated with the investment choices? If so, how much? Yes. Depending on the investment choices, the total fees range from 0.19% to 0.34% for Ohio residents and 0.45%-0.60% for non-Ohio residents.
- Are there other characteristics unique to your program? The STABLE Card comes with an online portal that tracks all transactions and allows users to categorize and write notes on qualified expenses for the purposes of record keeping.