#ABLEtoSave Series: Understanding Qualified Disability Expenses (Sponsored by BNY Mellon)
August 2017 is #ABLEtoSave month, a nationwide awareness campaign led by the ABLE National Resource Center (ANRC) to provide information about Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) accounts, which are a new financial savings tool for individuals with disabilities. ANRC would like to invite potential ABLE participants, their families, the financial community and all other ABLE stakeholders, to attend a free webinar on Wednesday August 16, from 2:00 – 3:00 EST, focusing on what expenses can be paid for by funds in an ABLE account.
ABLE accounts are now available across the country for qualified individuals with disabilities to save money without jeopardizing their eligibility for public benefits. This webinar will detail what funds in an ABLE account can cover, such as housing, transportation, job training, education and more. Actual or soon-to-be ABLE account holders will discuss what they plan to use their ABLE accounts for, and some ABLE program administrators will discuss which types of expenses would be considered “qualified disability expenses” and how this will be determined.
This Webinar will be moderated by Chris Rodriguez, Director, ABLE National Resource Center, and will include a panel of ABLE related stakeholders and experts, including:
- Kelly Israel, Policy Analyst, Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- Courtney Hansen, Parent, Disability Advocate, Blogger (Inclusion Evolution: Empowering Individuals with Down Syndrome in School and Work)
- James "Jim" Balsan, BNY Mellon, Managing Director, Sumday Solutions for State-Sponsored Savings Plans
The webinar will address questions such as:
- What types of expenses can be funded by an ABLE account?
- Does the ABLE account owner need prior authorization or approval to spend funds from the ABLE account?
- How will the ABLE account holder prove that the expenses the funds are used for are “qualified disability expenses”?
Please note: Real time captioning will be provided for this webinar. For other accommodation requests, questions about the webinar, or the registration process, please contact Christopher Rodriguez at email@example.com.